Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fish Tacos

I have procrastinated making Fish Tacos for a LONG time now, even though I really did want to try them. Finally last night I bit the bullet, while the family was out, and made them for myself. I figured if I liked them we have a chance they might also, but if I don't - well, then it's over, done.

I had a package of individually frozen Tilapia and I had heard the lighter fish was preferable for Fish Tacos, at least in the beginning. So I took out one fillet and put it (frozen still) in a low flat soup bowl, then proceeded to look up a recipe. In looking at recipes, I didn't find one that completely floated my boat, but I did see some ingredients that I thought would go well together. The general consensus was ...you need to marinate the fish for about 15 - 20 minutes. (no longer, or it will start to 'cook' it)

I squeezed the juice of a lime over the frozen fish in the bowl, then minced up a clove of garlic and tossed that in along with some spices (see below) and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Jiggled the bowl around and turned the fillets over and over to make sure it was on both sides, then let it sit for 15 minutes. (Of course I set the timer!)

Meanwhile I wanted a creamy sauce of sorts to put on top... so I got out the sour cream. I know.. I KNOW! Next time I'll use plain FF Greek yogurt! (but I didnt have any) The plain sour cream did nothing to excite me so I reached for the same spices I had put in the marinade and doctored it up with that, (1/2 tsp each) then I put in a dash of Sriracha sauce to give it a little kick! Obviously you can make this as spicy (or NOT spicy) as you like, even add a little red pepper flake.

I bought the small size corn tortillas and decided to heat them in a small frying pan with No Oil... just a nice HOT pan. Grilled both sides and took out while it was still pliable enough to fold in half and not crack... and set those aside.

Now it's time for the fish to hit the pan.. 1 Tbl oil so it doesn't stick, and in the pan with the fillet and 1/2 the marinade sauce. 3 minutes on side 1, so it will mostly hold together, then flip for side to for maybe a minute. Turn off heat.

While the fish is cooling a bit, rough chop some lettuce, and a few small pieces of tomato.
Time to plate it up! Divide the fish in half to fit into 2 tortilla shells, then drizzle with what is left of the marinade in the pan. Top with a few dabs of the sour cream mixture then lettuce & tomato. Yumm! Ready to eat!

Ingredients:
white fish fillet(s)

marinade:
juice of 1/2-1 lime
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cummin
1 Tbl oil

sour cream sauce:
small carton sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 shake of Sriracha sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)


No comments:

Post a Comment